[ Новые ответы · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · ]
[ ~New replies~ · ~Members~ · ~Forum Rules~ · Search · ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум TK » English Forum » TK - news » Red Cliff news (watch here)
Red Cliff news
SamanosukeДата: Понедельник, 19.01.2009, 22:56 | Сообщение # 1
TK Jedi Master
Статус: offline
Oh sure. That's not a problem. smile I'll get to the links as soon as possible. I have to look through them because many say the same thing as the rest so I wanna get to the one that pretty much tells the whole story. I promise you I'll get to it.

John Woo says yes to South America but can Red Cliff make it in (North) America?

The AP reports that director John Woo is optimistic about Red Cliff's chances at box office success outside Asia. The first installment of the epic film depicting the bloody Three Kingdom period of Chinese history has already cleaned up at the Chinese box office and done well in other Asian countries. According to an AP article, the film has gained distributors in South America and Europe but is still waiting on U.S. distributors.

America may be the land of opportunity, but not if you are trying to distribute a movie with subtitles. Few foreign films make it to wide release in the U.S. and fewer still make significant money here, but there are of course exceptions. So how do some foreign films make it in the U.S.? Here are some good bets to getting distribution and finding success in the American market:

1) Films need stars. Not just any stars, people Americans are familiar with. It doesn't matter how famous you are in other countries if American movie goers haven't heard of you. Consider some of the films that have made it big in the U.S. (relatively speaking). Crouching Tiger which had unprecedented success in the U.S. had Chow Yun Fat and last year's highest grossing foreign film Forbidden Kingdom had both Jet Li and Jackie Chan. While this doesn't guarantee anything, it's a good hint as to whether a film can get picked up. Red Cliff has Tony Leung who is a huge star in China and Hong Kong but not as large here and Takeshi Kaneshiro who might be slightly more famous here for his role in Hero and House of Flying Daggers.

2) Famous directors. Again, famous here is important. Again, what undoubtedly contributed to Crouching Tiger's success was the fact that the film's director Ang Lee had made a number of films in the U.S. prior to Crouching Tiger. Red Cliff's director John Woo has had a string of hits in Hong Kong in the 1980s and has made a name for himself in Hollywood (Mission Impossible II, Face/Off). This might be the deciding factor as to whether this film gets distribution.

3) Familiar Subjects. Life is Beautiful which was the highest grossing foreign film at one time dealt with the Holocaust, a subject certainly familiar to the average moviegoer. Now Woo's film is set in the Three Kingdom period - a particularly famous and bloody period of Chinese history. Famous that is, to the Chinese. Outside of Asian Studies Departments here, I don't think many Americans (including myself) are tremendously familiar with this time period.

While China will be treated to two installments of the film reaching over five hours, other countries will get their Red Cliff fix in one film totaling over two hours. The second installment in China was released Jan. 15, which should give it a box office edge since it will still be a fairly new release over the Chinese New Year (Jan 26).

However, he has said that he's readied an international version to American distributors:

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- John Woo said Wednesday that his first Chinese-language film in 16 years will prove that an epic about the Middle Kingdom can appeal to a worldwide audience.

Woo's statement came as he readied an international version of "Red Cliff" for American distributors. It has already been picked up in Europe and South America.

The $80 million epic, based on an ancient Chinese battle, was split into two installments lasting a combined five hours for Asia. A single movie lasting two hours and 25 minutes has been prepared for audiences elsewhere.

Hong Kong native Woo said he is confident his film will be an international success following the strong Asian box office from the first installment.

"This movie will prove that Chinese historical stories can appeal to an international audience," Wu said. "European distributors and critics have praised the film as the grandest epic in recent Chinese history."

The war epic is set in the Three Kingdoms historical period, about 2,000 years ago.

The first installment of the "Red Cliff" project - released in Asia in July - earned more than $100 million, including $50 million in Japan and $47 million in mainland China.

The second installment will debut in China on Thursday and across the rest of Asia later this month.

It's just that no one knows when.

SamanosukeДата: Суббота, 24.01.2009, 20:20 | Сообщение # 2
TK Jedi Master
That's awesome!! biggrin

150 minutes of Red Cliff for the rest of the world but still North America isn't mentioned.

John Woo achieves his goal

John Woo finally gets to make a movie in China and he treasures his moments on the set of Red Cliff.

John Woo always tries to make only movies that he is proud of, and by his own account, Red Cliff may be the film that he is most proud of.

This is because with this war epic, he has finally achieved his goal of making a movie in China. “Five years ago, I said it’s about time to make a film in China, a country I really love, and with filmmakers I really admire. I really wanted to work with the people in China,” he said in a recorded interview.

Having worked and lived in the United States for over 16 years now, Woo admits that he has been fortunate that the people there have been really nice and respectful towards him, and that he has had plenty of good opportunities to work in Hollywood.

But along the way, he realised that although Westerners were familiar with Asian martial art films and art films, not many truly understood Chinese culture.

“In general I think they didn’t know much about our culture and spirit, that’s what made me want to make another Chinese movie, to show our true spirit and culture. I’ve been dreaming of making this movie for over 20 years – it has a great story and characters, and it’s got a fusion of many great elements – history, romance and spirit of the heroes that I truly admire.”

Red cliffhanger

As you may already know, the first part of Woo’s Chinese period epic Red Cliff ended with quite the er ... cliffhanger. Red Cliff II picks up from where the first part left off, with Sun Quan, the ruler of the Wu kingdom, still trying to fend off the invasion from Cao Cao and his millions of soldiers.

Sun Quan knows he is outnumbered and fears that he may lose the battle, but advice from strategists Zhou Yu and Zhuge Liang might just save the day.

The movie stars Tony Leung Chiu Wai as Zhou Yu, the viceroy of the kingdom of East Wu; Takeshi Kaneshiro as master strategist Zhuge Liang; and Lin Chi Ling as Zhou Yu’s wife. Also reprising their roles are Zhang Fengyi, Vicky Zhao, Chang Chen and You Yong.

Based on a part of the classic Chinese literary work Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Red Cliff is the most expensive Chinese-language film ever made, and although the film is broken into two parts here in Asia, it will be screened as a single 150-minute film in the rest of the world.

Woo reckons the theme of the movie is friendship, bravery and love, and although it happened over 2,000 years ago, many of the elements in the story match today’s world. “As everyone knows, now there is an economy crisis, and a lot is happening around the world. People need courage, and somebody to inspire them. And that is what Red Cliff is about.

“You need to have courage to face all kinds of challenges and solve the problems together. If you want to win the war, you have to be united.”

Young filmmakers

Woo was enamoured by the enthusiasm of young filmmakers in China, and his decision to make Red Cliff was also partly fuelled by the desire to impart knowledge to these young guns.

“Five years ago, I was shooting a short film in China, and met a group of young filmmakers,” he recalled. “I found that the young people are very passionate about movies and have a great knowledge about film making. In the meantime, they all want to learn even more.

“These young ones are very hungry about film, hungry to work in a big film; they all wanted to experience new things.

“I loved them, and wanted to help them. So to make a movie like Red Cliff was a good chance to let them learn some new experiences from Hollywood.”

It wasn’t all plain sailing at first for the production though. “There was a bit of difficulty with the crew in the beginning, especially since we were making such a large scale movie in China and they were not used to the Hollywood style of filming.

“But once we (Woo and his crew) had worked together for a few months and began to understand each other, there were no more problems.

“Nothing is impossible in China. You can do anything. People in China are willing to die for the movie!” he said with a laugh. “They are always willing to try something new and they all love challenges. They can work 14 to 18 hours a day with no complaints. I’ve been working with a group of great young people who love film, are very smart and work very hard.”

While Woo is heading back to Hollywood for now, he hopes to return to China in the future.

“I’m so proud to work in China, that in the future I hope to bring more productions to China as well. There are so many great landscapes, the people are lovely, and there are so many great stories to tell,” he said. “In future, I’ll put my focus to make more Chinese films, but it doesn’t mean I’ll abandon Hollywood.

“I still enjoy working there, and I also want to make a film in Europe and every other country – it’s nice to work in different places and countries and learn from different cultures.”

mikomiДата: Пятница, 06.02.2009, 12:07 | Сообщение # 3
TK Bishamonten incarnation
Samanosuke, thanks for them)))))
btw
you can read what I have done on the page already here is the link
Quote (Samanosuke)
To any American visitors, to those in the Santa Barbara area, you can go see K-20 at their 24th annual film festival.

wow))))) it moved on)))) I heard that K-20 was not yet shown in USA. Glad to hear that happy

May the Force Be With You!

SamanosukeДата: Суббота, 07.02.2009, 00:39 | Сообщение # 4
TK Jedi Master
Sweet Rain was shown in Montreal at an Asian film festival, so they could also show K-20 at sometime. I live in an area where Asian film festivals aren't held (I don't live too far from Quebec City.)

Promotion has begun for Red Cliff II in Japan:

Actor Takeshi Kaneshiro, 35, Chinese director John Woo, 62, and Taiwanese actress Lin Chiling, 34, weer in Tokyo this week for the gala promotion of “Red Cliff Part 2.” Chinese singer A Lan, who sings the movie’s theme song.

Kaneshiro said, “It took four years to create the film from its planning stage. I think we are all happy to see so many people embrace the film.” Chiling said in Japanese, “I appreciate Japanese fans’ support. Thank you very much.”

Director Woo said part two of the epic features elements based on late Japanese film director Akira Kurosawa’s “Seven Samurai.” He said the success of the first “Red Cliff” proves that Asian films can compete with Hollywood films.”

The film will be released April 10 nationwide.

mikomiДата: Суббота, 07.02.2009, 01:23 | Сообщение # 5
Samanosuke, you are lucky you have those festivals and they show new movies. We have them too but when we had the week on Japanese movies in Ukraine they were showing the movies of Kim-Ki Duk

look forward for the development of the news about the Red Cliff. That becomes gravely interesting and makes me feel I wanna see if it is shown world wide

SamanosukeДата: Суббота, 07.02.2009, 21:24 | Сообщение # 6
TK Jedi Master
Looking at movies for coming soon at the theatre for Quebec City, Red Cliff isn't the bill for the rest of the year but that may change. I may have to look at Le Clap for Red Cliff because they show many international movies.

mikomiДата: Воскресенье, 08.02.2009, 01:00 | Сообщение # 7
I am sure it will be shown in Canada too cool

SamanosukeДата: Суббота, 16.05.2009, 00:51 | Сообщение # 8
TK Jedi Master
I'm hoping for at LEAST Le Clap.

From France? Planning on visiting? Mark your calendars!! March 25th, Les Trois Royaumes will be in theatres.

Добавлено (16.05.2009, 00:51)
---------------------------------------------
omg..!! FINALLY!!

This fall, Red Cliff: The Condensed Version, will be shown in US theatres. Source here and here.

aaa

I clearly can't read. I JUST READ IT IN FULL: E1 Entertainment will release the film simultaneously in Canada.

Сообщение отредактировал Samanosuke - Суббота, 16.05.2009, 00:54

mikomiДата: Вторник, 19.05.2009, 14:19 | Сообщение # 9
Samanosuke, that is an awesome news))))))

SamanosukeДата: Четверг, 11.06.2009, 00:30 | Сообщение # 10
TK Jedi Master
He's WORTH going broke for. happy

Добавлено (11.06.2009, 00:30)
---------------------------------------------
Take a look at the various DVD types for Red Cliff II, especially the one going for 17640 yen//$200 CDN here. THE FIGURINES ARE. SO. CUTE!! aaa

mikomiДата: Понедельник, 20.07.2009, 17:14 | Сообщение # 11
have got an article
I am sure you guys already know that but just put it here
Epic of the East
Source: http://www.theage.com.au/news....?page=2

July 17, 2009
Page 1 of 2

John Woo delivers a film of colossal proportions, writes Kylie Northover.

JOHN Woo launched his career as a director of hit action flicks in Hong Kong before cementing his reputation in Hollywood with blockbusters such as Face/Off and Mission: Impossible II.

In his latest film, the record-setting Red Cliff, Woo has tried to marry the two cinematic styles.

"I think this movie will prove that in China, we can make big movies like Hollywood," Woo says ahead of the film's release next week.

"A few years ago I found most of the young Asian audiences were only crazy about Hollywood movies because they have the best budgets and better visual effects. Not many young Asian people were watching movies from their own countries and I feel this is not right.

"That's why I wanted to make a movie on a Hollywood scale but with their own spirit, the Eastern spirit; a movie that Asian audiences and Western audiences could both feel interested in.

"All my life I've wanted to make a movie like Lawrence of Arabia. It's one of my dreams."

This epic tale based on a famous Chinese historical novel, Red Cliff, starring Tony Leung, Takeshi Kaneshiro and Fengyi Zhang, was filmed in China, the biggest and most expensive production — costing more than $US100 million ($126 million) — ever filmed there.

Set in 208 AD, the film follows the story of the battle between warlord Cao Cao and his million-man army and two other armies that join forces and use intricate battle strategies to beat their enemy.

"Most people in Asian countries are familiar with this tale," Woo says. "I grew up with the story and the book; the hero was always my idol. In the ancient story, the characters are almost like gods but I tried to make it a more human story."

Featuring a massive cast and crew — there were often up to 2000 people on set — from across Asia, the result is a breathtaking film with some of the most epic battle scenes ever created.

While there are some CGI elements, many of the battle scenes featured up to 1000 extras and were choreographed carefully for up to eight months before filming.

As well as the outlandish logistics of the film, the cast and crew had to endure shoots in remote locations and in extreme weather conditions.

Woo says making the film was akin to the military life depicted in the film.

"Yes, everybody felt like we were in an actual war — and I was the commander," he jokes.

and a second part
Page 2 of 2

John Woo delivers a film of colossal proportions, writes Kylie Northover.

JOHN Woo launched his career as a director of hit action flicks in Hong Kong before cementing his reputation in Hollywood with blockbusters such as Face/Off and Mission: Impossible II.

In his latest film, the record-setting Red Cliff, Woo has tried to marry the two cinematic styles.

"I think this movie will prove that in China, we can make big movies like Hollywood," Woo says ahead of the film's release next week.

"A few years ago I found most of the young Asian audiences were only crazy about Hollywood movies because they have the best budgets and better visual effects. Not many young Asian people were watching movies from their own countries and I feel this is not right.

"That's why I wanted to make a movie on a Hollywood scale but with their own spirit, the Eastern spirit; a movie that Asian audiences and Western audiences could both feel interested in.

"All my life I've wanted to make a movie like Lawrence of Arabia. It's one of my dreams."

This epic tale based on a famous Chinese historical novel, Red Cliff, starring Tony Leung, Takeshi Kaneshiro and Fengyi Zhang, was filmed in China, the biggest and most expensive production — costing more than $US100 million ($126 million) — ever filmed there.

Set in 208 AD, the film follows the story of the battle between warlord Cao Cao and his million-man army and two other armies that join forces and use intricate battle strategies to beat their enemy.

"Most people in Asian countries are familiar with this tale," Woo says. "I grew up with the story and the book; the hero was always my idol. In the ancient story, the characters are almost like gods but I tried to make it a more human story."

Featuring a massive cast and crew — there were often up to 2000 people on set — from across Asia, the result is a breathtaking film with some of the most epic battle scenes ever created.

While there are some CGI elements, many of the battle scenes featured up to 1000 extras and were choreographed carefully for up to eight months before filming.

As well as the outlandish logistics of the film, the cast and crew had to endure shoots in remote locations and in extreme weather conditions.

Woo says making the film was akin to the military life depicted in the film.

"Yes, everybody felt like we were in an actual war — and I was the commander," he jokes.

"We were fighting with the weather. We survived windstorms, hail storms, then we had extremely hot temperatures and a lot of people got heat fever.

"We also then had to shoot in very, very cold situations for the scenes by the lake, so it was quite challenging."

Another blow to the production was the death of one of the crew's 200 stuntmen, who was engulfed in flames during the filming of the final scene. "It was so sad," Woo says. "Even though we had everything very well prepared, the wind changed direction all of a sudden and the flames changed direction."

The film has proved a hit with both Western and Asian audiences and Woo says he is keen to make more films in China. But he's not closing the door on Hollywood yet.

"I would like to work in both places," he says.

"The good thing about making movies in China is they have a great culture and great history — there are a lot more stories to tell. In Hollywood, I've got to wait for a good script and I always get tired of making big CGI movies."

And instead of taking a break after the monumental production of Red Cliff, Woo is instead making a love story.

"That will be like taking a break for me," he jokes. "It's like a Romeo and Juliet-type story — no battle scenes!"

Red Cliff opens July 23.

mikomiДата: Среда, 29.07.2009, 13:00 | Сообщение # 12
another news about the Red Cliff

Piece of the action by David Stratton | July 25, 2009
the article is from the The Australian - I-net newspaper

Red Cliff (Chi bi) (MA15+)
3½ stars
National release
JOHN Woo's Red Cliff is one of the most spectacular epic movies made and is comparable to the classics of the genre: Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Seven Samurai.

Sadly, Australian audiences are not being given the opportunity to see the complete version of the film, at least not in cinemas; and if ever a film demanded to be seen on the big cinema screen with a full, theatrical sound system, this is it.

The running time of Red Cliff was originally four hours and 46 minutes, but the international version that screened at the Sydney Film Festival in June and which is now opening in Australian cinemas has been shortened by 2 1/4 hours and runs only 2 1/2 hours. Imagine the outcry if only half of Lawrence of Arabia was screened because it was considered too long.

Red Cliff, which cost $US80 million ($100m) to produce, is an unofficial co-production between China, Japan and South Korea, with production input from Taiwanese and US partners. During the past six months it has screened across Asia in two parts: part one (145minutes) opened in the middle of last year and part two (141 minutes) at the beginning of this year. The idea of releasing a very long film in two parts isn't new. Bernardo Bertolucci did it in 1976 with 1900, Steven Soderbergh is doing it with Che, and arguably the greatest anti-war film of all time, Masaki Kobayashi's almost 10-hour-long The Human Condition, was released as three three-hour-plus films between 1959 and 1961. Then there's Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, another hugely successful three-part movie.

Why, then, have audiences outside Asia not been given the opportunity to see Woo's epic in its integral version? Why have we been palmed off with a chopped-up, Reader's Digest-abridged edition? Asian film buffs can doubtless find DVDs of the complete version if they search hard enough, but they are not being given the opportunity to experience the complete film incinemas.

The story, which Woo has written in collaboration with three other screenwriters, is inspired by historical events (set down in Chen Shou's 3rd-century chronicle) and by the 14th-century Romance of Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong. Several earlier films have been based on this material but none as lavish and powerful as this.

In the year AD208, during the decline of the Han dynasty, prime minister Cao Cao (played by Chinese actor Zhang Fengyi) bullies the weak emperor Xian (Wang Ning) into allowing him to lead a vast army to attack two rebel rulers in the south of the country. He has his sights set on Liu Bei (You Yong) and Sun Quan (Chang Chen), and his aim is to forcibly unite China under hisrule.

The northern armies come into conflict with southern forces at the Battle of Changban, which is the first of many staggeringly well-staged action sequences in Woo's film.

Cao Cao is triumphant but the southerners unite under the control of two brilliant strategists, Zhuge Liang (Takeshi Kaneshiro), who serves Liu, and Zhou Yu (Tony Leung), who serves Sun. The complete version of the film follows these events in intricate detail, with time given to the growing friendship between Zhuge and Zhou -- enhanced by two tremendously charismatic performances from the actors involved -- and the wily plotting of the hypnotic Cao Cao. Time is also devoted to the relationship between Zhou and his wife (Lin Chi-ling). In the original version of the film there is much more to all of this. The battle scenes, including the titanic conflict below the cliffs on the Yangtze River which give the film its title, are presented in far more detail. Whole subplots and characters have been removed, including much of the character of the tomboy Shangxiang (Vicki Zhao) and her adventures disguised as a boy behind enemy lines. In the cut version there are references that no longer make sense because the original scenes have been deleted.

Despite this vandalism, the version of Red Cliff screening here is worth a look. Woo, who has shown his mettle in Hollywood films such as Face/Off and Mission: Impossible 2, is a master of action, and with thousands of extras and material at his disposal he delivers the goods with energy and style. The style, at times, smacks more of Akira Kurosawa and the Japanese samurai tradition than Chinese cinema, but it's none the worse for that.

I would have given the original film at least a four-star rating; the cut version is diminished but not entirely ruined. The nuances may have been left on the cutting-room floor but the spectacle just about survives.

And one more thind
I have found out .....guess that is quite not the news at all but the fact that the Chinese destributor of the Red Cliff is the same as to the "Waiting" movie wchich would be released in late 2009 or so.
Waiting info and China Film Group general information.

mikomiДата: Четверг, 10.09.2009, 16:54 | Сообщение # 13
Red CLiff is probably for the Oscar academy award
Fresh Oscar bait
By Dayna Papaleo
Anchorage Press

Published/Last Modified on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:37 PM AKDT
Source: http://www.anchoragepress.com/article....524.txt
Red Cliff: John Woo returns to his Asian roots for his first feature in six years, a sweeping historical epic set during the final days of the Han Dynasty and starring Wong Kar-wai regulars Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Takeshi Kaneshiro. (11/13)

Oscar prospects: Foreign-language films aren’t the easiest sell, but the early word is this particular one is spectacular.

So far I would not reust this one 'cause that seems as only a though of a person but I hope Red Cliff would be among nominies too))))))))well,... I was trying to find something on http://www.oscars.org/, but there is nothing about the plans for the niminies - sesides - I know they always change

and couple od movies reviews
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr....d154d47
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ff20081106r1.html

mikomiДата: Среда, 21.10.2009, 00:50 | Сообщение # 14
Щту more
Have found lots of interviews about the Red Cliff
I mean interviews with John Woo
INT: John Woo + very cute photo with TK in the making

John Woo Exclusive Interview: Talks RED CLIFF and His Next Movie FLYING TIGERS + trailer and poster

NY Observers - Woo-Hoo! Hong Kong Auteur Sinks Titanic with Red Cliffs

Cinema Blend representation of the US Red CLiff

awesomest picture I have not yet seen

enjoy <_<

mikomiДата: Суббота, 07.11.2009, 21:52 | Сообщение # 15
http://www.moviejungle.com/newsDetails.aspx?ArticleID=3465

Red Cliff - Enter to win great prizes including a poster autographed by John Woo and DVDs Chocolate, Exiled and Dynamite Warrior!
Source: MovieJungle.com
By: Peter Dimako
Editor, Movie Jungle

MovieJungle.com and Magnolia Pictures are pleased to present you with a chance to win fantastic prizes from the upcoming epic historical drama "Red Cliff."

Enter and you could a great prize pack which includes a poster autographed by legendary director John Woo as well as the Magnet/Magnolia DVDs "Dynamite Warrior," "Chocolate" and "Exiled."

"Red Cliff" is now available on VOD, Amazon and XBOX Live and will open in theaters starting November 18, 2009.
How to Enter:

1. Visit the official U.S. website at www.redclifffilm.com.
2. Tell us what the theatrical release date is an name three actors in the film. Send all answers to reviews@moviejungle.com .
If you are selected as a winner of this contest, you have two weeks to reply with all required shipping details prior to forfeiting your prize.

This contest is open to U.S. residents only.

actually that is a sort of the news - more like for those who are interested in getting the movie wink

Форум TK » English Forum » TK - news » Red Cliff news (watch here)
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск: